You Can Stay The Healthy Course Even When Your Spouse Isn't On Board. 

img_6380-0.jpg

I love kale and spinach and then more kale and more spinach. I also love brussel sprouts and zucchini and broccoli and anything else GREEN. I am not a picky eater, which is probably a major contributing factor to my obesity while in high school. I genuinely like all kinds of food. And I never had trouble finishing any meals. "A happy plate is a clean plate." Anybody else grow up hearing that?

My wife, on the other hand, has a strong aversion to most healthy foods. She does like green beans, but I think the word "like" might be slightly exaggerated. I think it's just the one veggie that she tolerates. Oh, and glazed carrots. But those don't really count. Hello, brown sugar.

 

 

Mit grew up on a ranch in northwest Oklahoma. She's talked about meal habits and has expressed that it wasn't uncommon to sit down to "supper" and happily enjoy a dinner with grass-fed protein and 3 sides of starch - corn, mashed potatoes, and bread. This is NOT a foreign concept to me either. I remember the days of eating dinner and enjoying that soft, white, sliced bread and smothering butter on top of it. Sometimes it was 2 or 3 slices. And this was just a supplement to dinner. LAWD help my high school waist line. But the main difference is that I've always liked veggies. ALL THE VEGGIES. She avoided them like the plague at each meal.

So let's fast forward to now. I'm not here to judge eating habits or condemn any foods. That's not my job. But I DO want to express to you that you CAN keep healthy habits even if your significant other doesn't enjoy the same foods.

First off, when I'm cooking a meal at home, 80% of the time I cook the same protein for each of us. The other 20% is when I cook fish. She no likey seafood. Bummer. But when I cook veggies, I get really creative and always cook some sort of varied veggies for myself. Mit - she always gets green beans. Always. So this usually means I'm cooking something extra, or sometimes I might make two completely different meals. It might sound like a headache, but I'm honestly okay with it. I want her to enjoy her food and me enjoy mine.

When it comes to eating at restaurants, if eating healthy is your goal, then stay the course. We sometimes allow ourselves permission to make bad decisions due to our surroundings. And let me be clear, if you decide to indulge in something not so healthy, then by all means OWN IT and move on. But if you want healthy, opt for healthy, OWN IT, and move on.

Here are a few scenarios of what restaurant ordering might look like for us:

Mit orders a cheeseburger plain with mustard and ketchup. I order a Cobb salad.

Mit orders a cheeseburger plain with mustard and ketchup. (She's pretty consistent). I order a cheeseburger, no bun but wrapped in extra lettuce.

Mit orders chicken and waffles. I ORDER CHICKEN AND WAFFLES. I will not live in a world where I don't allow myself to indulge in chicken and waffles every once in a while. That's just absurd. AMIRIGHT? I'm health conscious, but LIFE.

 

Let me also defend my wife and tell you that she certainly has appeased me and will try nearly everything I put in front of her. She strives to eat healthier, but she does this for herself, not for me. She also knows that I opt for healthy meals majority of the time, and she is so very supportive of my journey - even at my most extreme and restrictive times. She never comments on my decisions in any negative manner and vice versa. In my humble opinion, resentment occurs when we judge our spouse for their eating habits. Nobody wants to hear, "don't you think you've had enough of those chips?" Ouch.

Now, would it be easier if Mit enjoyed the same healthy foods that I do? Of course! I'd be making big, BIG salads every single night. ALL THE VEGGIES! But here's what I've learned: There is strength in our differences, and my ability to work around those differences has taught me to demonstrate more discipline. That's not a bad thing.

I obviously like to talk about healthy foods BECAUSE yum. But if your spouse isn't on that same page, don't let THAT be the excuse that keeps you from healthier options for yourself - if that's your goal. 

What are some differences that you and your spouse have when it comes to choosing meals?

Engage. Empower. Elevate. #EEEtribe 

xo

Coach Fowler